5 Easy Steps for a Cleaner Home
Feb 05, 2018 02:32AM
● By Family Features
Whether it is a family dinner after a long day at work, sitting down with a book on a rainy day or entertaining friends during the weekend, there is nothing like spending quality time in the comfort of your own home. With a few simple steps, you can have a fresher, cleaner and healthier home, taking comfort to a whole new level.
- Leave your shoes at the door. The bottoms of shoes can track bacteria and chemicals into the home from the outdoors that you may not notice. Create a designated station near the front door to drop shoes off - this can serve as a reminder for your family as they walk in, and guests will hopefully follow suit when they arrive.
- Disinfect the handles on doors and appliances. Viruses and bacteria can live on indoor surfaces for several hours, and sometimes even days. Get into the habit of wiping down doorknobs and handles, especially in the bathroom, with disinfectant each night or after use to limit the spread of germs around the house.
- Use natural cleaning products. Common household cleaning products leave chemicals lingering in the air long after the cleaning is over. Opt for greener methods that get the job done without compromising the air you breathe. There are dozens of DIY recipes to create natural cleaners on your own, such as an all-purpose cleaner made of one part baking soda, two parts vinegar and two parts water, not only making for a healthier home, but also saving you money.
- Check your air filter every 30 days. Every breath is a reason to care about your air, and more time spent at home can stir up indoor allergens like pet dander and dust. Help improve your indoor air quality with the Filtrete Dual-Action Micro Allergen Plus 2X Dust Defense Filter. This filter gives you all the benefits of allergen defense, plus the best dust holding power of any Filtrete filter, holding as much dust as 50 dusting wipes.
- Expose textiles to heat. Just because your sheets are odor-free and the curtains are stain-free doesn't mean that the fabrics are free of dust mites or other bacteria. Tackle hidden germs by washing your bedding in hot water each week and throwing your pillows and curtains in the dryer for at least 30 minutes.
For more ways to make your home happy and healthy, visit Filtrete.com.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images