Geneva announces Halloween trick-or-treat hours
Oct 05, 2017 10:40AM
children and parents are encouraged to trick-or-treat in their neighborhoods
between the City’s recommended Halloween hours of 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31.
Families can get a jump start on their candy collection as downtown merchants offer free Halloween treats from 2 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26. Look for trick-or-treat signs in store windows for participating businesses.The Geneva Police Department wants all little superheroes, princesses and scary monsters to have a fun and safe Halloween experience this year. Parents should take an active role in this process by making sure their families follow these safety tips:
- Wear light-colored clothing or some type of reflective material for better visibility.
- Ensure costumes fit and are worn in a manner that prevents tripping.
- If children wear masks, make sure their vision is not compromised.
- Small children should always be accompanied by an adult.
- Older children should stick to familiar neighborhoods and travel in groups.
- Remind children to never go inside someone’s home when trick-or-treating.
- Go out in the daylight when possible and carry a flashlight for use if out after dark.
- Only give and accept wrapped candy. Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
- Carrying hard props such as swords and daggers should be substituted with soft foam rubber materials.
- Make sure your child watches for traffic and understands basic traffic/pedestrian rules such as using crosswalks.
The Geneva Police Department hopes everyone has an enjoyable Halloween.