Batavia's 2016 leaf collection program ends in November
Oct 25, 2016 10:16AM
● By Neighbors Magazines
The City of Batavia’s curbside collection program continues in November for residents who pay the monthly leaf/brush fee on their utility bill to dispose of their leaves. City crews use a specialized vacuum collection vehicle to collect the leaves. Residents are asked to avoid placing sticks, bags, and plastic bottles in their leaf piles, as this causes the equipment to break down and delays the process. After collection, leaves are taken to an agricultural site and tilled into the soil, so it is important to keep the leaf piles free of foreign objects. The intent of this program is to collect the majority of leaves residents may have during the time the program runs. We understand that some trees drop their leaves after the program has finished for the season, and those residents are encouraged to use alternate options (see below). Ornamental grasses, plants, and corn stalks should be disposed of as yard waste on residents’ weekly refuse collection day.
The leaf collection program provides every resident with three collection opportunities, weather permitting. Please follow the guidelines below:
• Rake leaves to the space in the parkway no farther than 6' behind curb and not in street by 6am on the Monday of your scheduled week. Leaves will be collected in designated areas, rain or shine. Crews will not return to an area once they have made one pass during the scheduled weeks. If crews pass your home before your leaves are out, the leaves may not be picked up for two more weeks.
• Per city ordinance, do not rake leaves into the street as this can create an unsafe driving surface and clogged storm drains, which can cause flooding. Raking leaves into a long windrow, rather than a large pile, will expedite the process. Please note that residents whose homes back up to an alley must place leaves in their front parkway.
• Do not pile your leaves around obstacles such as mailboxes, utility poles/boxes, hydrants, trees, and sign posts.
• Limbs/brush should be placed in a separate pile for collection and may not be combined with leaf piles, as this damages the equipment. Limbs/brush should only be placed at the curb if there is a scheduled collection. The final citywide brush collection will be done the week of Nov. 28 for both sides of town.
Leaf collections begin on Mondays at 6am according to the proposed schedule. Updates showing daily progress will be posted on the city’s website: cityofbatavia.net.
East Side Collection West Side Collection
Oct. 31 Nov. 7
Nov. 14** Nov. 21**
**Third pickup up is tentative and will only be done weather permitting.
Although best efforts will be made to remain on schedule, the dates above may change due to the weather and volume of leaves put out for collection. Snow or freezing weather may significantly delay or permanently halt curbside leaf collection, as some of the equipment that is used to remove leaves is also used to handle deicing and snowplowing.
If you wish to dispose of leaves between collection weeks, place them in generic yard waste bags with a refuse/yard waste sticker attached, and they will be picked up by Advanced Disposal through the end of November, on your regular refuse collection date.
• Advanced Disposal will be picking up yard waste bags containing leaves only without refuse/yard waste stickers during the month of December. This will be done on residents’ scheduled collection dates from Dec. 1–31. Loose leaves will not be collected, nor will leaves in plastic bags or cans.
• Use a mulching lawnmower to mulch leaves back into the lawn. This provides nutrients for the soil.
• Place leaves in and around plant beds and under trees and shrubs. Again, this provides good nutrients for the soil and plants; it also insulates the plants.
If you have any questions on the leaf program, please call the Street Division of Batavia Public Works at 630-454-2400. Residents can also visit the city’s website at cityofbatavia.net for the latest updates to the schedule and to view a progress map that is updated daily.