The best old houses in St. Charles: Dr. Steve Smunt to speak about designated residential landmarks
May 11, 2016 09:29AM
● By Neighbors Magazines
Dr. Steve Smunt will give a presentation on designated residential landmarks in St. Charles at the St. Charles History Museum, Sat., May 14 from 11am-12pm.
St. Charles contains an excellent collection of historic houses from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Buildings in St. Charles’s historic districts are known for their quality of construction and craftsmanship. Many are over one hundred years old and if properly maintained will last indefinitely.
Dr. Smunt’s presentation will cover the following topics:
- Why We Love Our Old Houses
- A Review of Recently Designated Sites
- House Plaques: Organizational, Official
- Legal Criteria, The Historic Preservation Ordinance
- The Process of Landmarking Structures: Case Studies of the Emma Durant-Lane and the Darwin Millington Houses.
For more information, visit stcmuseum.org